Monday, April 25, 2005

Is S gay or straight? The plot thickens.

Myself and J have been trying to work out whether S is straight or gay (A discussion with J using txt msgs). Last Friday the plot thickened in both directions.

On Friday morning, I’m in the sauna with S and I ask him if he’s got anything planned for the weekend. “I’ll probably take them skating”, he replies.

“Who are ‘they’?” I ask, confused.

“Oh my two children”. So not only does he have a wife, but he’s got a couple of kids too. So he must have had hetero sex at least twice!

We chat a bit more. Last week he told me about one of the gym instructors, who’s in a long-term gay relationship with another of the instructors (Fun with N in the gym sauna after an exercise class). And the gym class which one of these gay instructors runs is tonight. “I always do the class”, say S, “and if you do it too I’m sure you’ll enjoy it”.

“OK, I’ll try to come along tonight, but it may be difficult to get off work in time”.

As it turns out, I am able to attend the class, and it’s amazing. I’ve been going to the gym for many years now, but I’ve never been to an aerobics class that is so conspicuously full of gay men. I would guess it was 60% gay guys, 40% women, plus S of course.

The instructor starts by saying that he’s borrowed some music from P, which is the name of his boyfriend. He clearly knows that he is amongst friends. And the class is very enjoyable too. It’s clearly become a firm fixture in all these guys’ calendars.

There are several guys there who I recognise as participants in sauna fun. And I see S chatting to them all. How on earth can this guy be straight?

No comments: