Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Lunch with my mate who almost discovered my blog

Today I met up for lunch with the friend who almost discovered that I write this blog when I met him for supper two weeks ago. I had taken a call from him mid-morning.

"Hi is that you GB", he starts, "do you have any plans for lunch today?"

"Errr, not at the moment", I reply, "do you have any irresistible suggestions?"

"Well I'm about to visit a potential client near your office so I could meet you after?"

"OK sure, how can I resist, I could slip out for a short while I guess", I say casually, "it's always good to see you mate".

But I'm wondering whether he's discovered my blogging secret and wants to confront me face to face to see my reaction. Of course, it's not as though there's anything I'm really ashamed of in this blog, so in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter. None the less, I would much prefer that my friends don't find out about it, not just yet anyway, and certainly not until I've told my boyfriends about it.

About an hour and a half later he calls me from the reception of the bank I work for, so I go out to meet him.

"I could stand here all day just watching the gorgeous guys that work here coming and going", he says to me quietly as we head for the exit.

"You're permanently on heat aren't you mate", I laugh, "I'm surprised you ever get any work done!"

"Actually I am starting to worry whether I'm addicted to gaydar, or addicted to both sex AND gaydar. It must be one or the other!"

We walk along chatting and there's still no indication that he knows my secret. But he could just be toying with me. Soon we're sitting down with each other in a small restaurant, still chatting about life in general and his sex life in particular.

"Is that a love bite on your neck?" I ask him half-way through lunch.

"Oh yes, damm, I wore this shirt to try and hide it", he says grinning, "I got that last night!"

"Look at all the waiters in here", he continues, "they all look good to me. I think I'd do every one of them, preferably all at the same time!"

"Perhaps you should get some counselling somehow", I reply, slightly exasperated. "I'm not sure it's healthy to be quite as sex-obsessed as you!"

It's a perfect opportunity for him. If he has found my blog, all he has to do is to look me in the eye and reply 'or YOU!' and I'll know that I'm busted.

"Actually", he continues, "I'm glad I've got a friend like you. Knowing someone like you might just help me keep my feet on the ground."

Phew! Surely he wouldn't say that if he knows about this blog. The conversation continues but the obvious conclusion is, as I had originally suspected, that if you're not a blog reader googling for my GB e-mail address isn't an obvious thing to do.

"Let me ask you", I say relaxing a bit, "how many friends have you got, who you haven't been to bed with?"

"Errr let me think", he says smiling. "Well there's GB of course, and his boyfriend".

"I mean apart from us! I don't think you've got any others have you? Not that it matters. I'm not trying to be judgemental at all. It's just that I've noticed that all the friends that you mention to me seem to be originally the result of a gaydar hook-up or something!"

"Well there's the guy who threw the party all those years ago where we first met", he says defensively, "he's a friend and I still see him sometimes".

"He doesn't count", I laugh, "because I know that you met him through gaydar too, and that you had a shag together! Probably only once, but it just proves my point."

"Well I'm sure there are some friends", he continues, looking slightly worried. "I'll give it some thought and send you a list to prove it".

"I guess I'm starting to wonder what's wrong with me", I joke with him, "if you've slept with all your gay friends, why haven't we had fun together?"

He roars with laughter. "OK let's set it up", he tries. But he knows of course that I'm only joking. Although he's certainly an attractive guy, I've promised boyfriend number 1 that I never get involved with any of our friends. And living in London, there really is no need. As this friend of mine frequently points out, London is full of gorgeous guys!

2 comments:

close encounters said...

panic over !?

maybe you'll return to blogging your meets ?? it's strange not reading them !

GB said...

Don't you think it's more fun blogging about a wider range of subjects close encounters? And I've done one posting on one of my encounters since I changed my policy. Anyway, as I said at the start of November, I'm going to get 'busted' eventually and the broader format should attract less criticism from my boyfriends.

GB xxx