Tuesday, December 12, 2006

My original meeting with boyfriend number 2

"How did you feel about me when we first met back in 2001?" I ask boyfriend number 2 over dinner one evening.

"You know Sex and the City, right?" replies boyfriend number 2.

"Actually I’ve never watched it, although given my lifestyle perhaps I should!"

Boyfriend number 2's alter ego"Yes you definitely should. Watch the first series anyway, that was the best. But the answer to your question is, I felt like Carrie Bradshaw! She’s the main character in the show."

"Can you explain?" I ask.

"Well, there’s this episode in the first series where Carrie meets a successful handsome French architect. In my parallel world, that was you!"

"Uh huh, sounds good, I like the idea of being a successful French architect :-)".

"But you don’t know the story do you!" laughs boyfriend number 2.

"He swept her off her feet, just like you did with me," he continues. "He was a high powered guy from a foreign country, just like you were. He was staying in a top hotel, just like you were. And they ended up going back to his hotel room for sex, just like we did."

"Presumably something goes wrong then?" I say, preparing myself for the finale.

"After the sex, she goes to sleep in the room with him, dreaming of the relationship they might have together. But when she wakes up he’s gone, and he's left $1000 for her on the table!"

"So he treated her like a prostitute! I never treated you like that," I complain.

"No, that's true, but it still felt similar after you went back to the UK. There were also various other things in my life at that time that I had in common with Carrie. So I was left wondering what you thought of me, and as happened to Carrie, I thought that you might have just been using me somehow."

"And what do you think of me now then?" I ask smiling, fishing for a compliment.

"Actually I almost didn't meet you when you came back to Singapore the following year. But let's just say, I'm glad that I did!"

No comments: