Sunday, November 04, 2007

Email about gay marriage in the UK

Two guys dressed for marriageA couple of weeks ago, I received an email from a gay guy who's interested in marrying his boyfriend:

Hi,

Greetings from Singapore.

First of all, I want to say that reading your blog is bliss. Thanks for all the sharing, some of which can be inspiring for me. Anyway, I would like to seek your advice on gay marriage.

My bf and I are planning a 2 week trip to Iceland next year. Tentatively, we planned to transit either in London or Paris, or if not a city that we have never set foot in, Copenhagen. I was toying with the idea since we are going to travel so far to the west, I might as well seize the opportunity to get married in London, giving my bf a big surprise.

Can you refer me a website that specifies details (including legal implications) on gay marriage registration in London? What is the address? Do you happen to know which other European cities that allow gays to register marriage?

Thanks! Hope to hear from you soon.

I’ll say I’ll never wake up knowing how or why.
But never is a promise and I’ll never need a lie.


Interesting poetry at the end, although I'm not sure I understand it!

Anyway, "gay marriage" in the UK is called "Civil Partnership", and I found the following two useful web sites about it:Note in particular the Residency requirement, because it says that
You can register a civil partnership in England and Wales as long as you have both lived in a registration authority for at least seven days immediately before giving notice of your intention to register the partnership.
However I had thought that it was necessary for one of the guys to be, if not a UK citizen, then a citizen of an EU country. But citizenship doesn't seem to be specified.

To check on this, I emailed the law firm that set up the civil partnership law website that I mentioned above, but they never replied. I couldn't help wondering why they bothered to put up that web site, as an advert for their expertise, if they're not going to respond when it creates an enquiry. So perhaps for legal advice it's best to look elsewhere.

Anyway, I know that there are a few lawyers who read this web site so perhaps they know the answer to this? Or do any readers have any information on gay marriage or civil partnership elsewhere in the European union?

5 comments:

Caliope said...

The nationality bit seems to be covered by the UK Government website in the page connected to the 'give notice' link on the front page.

Anonymous said...

that 'poetry' - fiona apple

Tales of the City said...

You have to publish your banns - Having done it myself, I know Chelsea for example is 16 days before. Also it really depends on the availabilty of the registrar. You do have to say formal legal words. By the way - to the person inquiring - I would hate it if someone sprung a marriage on me .. have you tried getting engaged or swapping rings (no pun intended).

My understanding is that One person has to be British. And you both have to be physically interviewed before the above 16 day rule. You will be questioned (some high level questions, how long you have known each other, etc.. the Govt is worried about fake CPs.. lot of Asian heterosexual men pretending to be gay coming over from india/pakistan (those bastions of understanding) and getting married to a British male so that they can stay in the country and they are worried about gay men faking marriage to stay as well... mummy used to work in the Home Office).

You need to prove residency, address and passport. You need to give referees, and you need to have witnesses. I am sorry matey its not as easy as rocking up and getting married.

If you do getting the "permission" - you will require two witnesses. You can pull them off the street if you want.

Good luck. Think you need to discuss this with your partner by the way.

Sir Wobin said...

There is no requirement that either party to the CP be British. The Husband and I had our ceremony while both being South African citizens. Only residency is required.

Strange to think that Asian straights would fake being gay for a CP. Isn't it easier to find women to fake a marriage with?

-RGL

Tales of the City said...

Believe it Sir Wobin.. in their twisted little heads its an additional two fingers at the authority, the society and immigration rules.